Friday, January 2, 2009

Winter Wonderland Walking

Well today I enjoyed a walk with a friend in a winter wonder of fresh snow and sunshine.  The snow has been accumulating for about three weeks now and even with the snow clearing efforts, the side roads are still quite snow covered.  I have worried in the past about walking in snowy conditions because of the icy layer that tends to build up just beneath the fluffy stuff. Sliding is the goal if you are tobogganing but sliding when walking can be very scary!  I wasn't sure I would enjoy winter walking when the snow came, and then a friend told me about the traction devices she used and how much it gave her confidence to walk in icy conditions.  I put this item on my Christmas list and found it under the tree last week.  Today was the first time I tried out my YakTrakPros and I was very pleased. My footing felt sure and I was able to fully take in the beautiful scenery and enjoy conversation with my friend.  The area I live in is generously decorated with lovely sites, today everything sparkled as the sun glinted off the multitude of snowflakes.  I also noticed the sound of each step, muffled by the snow, softly our feet tread through the white trails.  The temperature was quite pleasant for January, too.  I found myself tucking my gloves into my pocket halfway through and was glad for the extra vitamin D that I received.   

1 comment:

  1. To find out what makes pole walkers tick, go see
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbHST2vnHAY

    ReplyDelete