Thursday, January 1, 2009

Confessions of a Pole Walker



Welcome to the blog that asserts pole walking increases the number of smiles in the world! This blog has been floating around in the back of my mind for quite some months now and the start of a new year seemed like the right time to begin to put it together.  

If you have reached this point, you are probably either a person who pole walks or one who is wondering why anyone would.  My goal is to include both groups of people through my posts and your comments.  

I have been walking with poles for nine months now.  I had noticed walking poles around occasionally and was curious to learn more.  A friend and I attended a free workshop at our local high school.  After the two hour session, we both purchased walking poles and have been using them ever since. I walk 5-6 times each week, 4 times with friends and 1-2 times alone.  I have been surprised by many aspects of this activity.  Mostly I am convinced that walking without poles is simply not fun or athletically challenging enough for me.  The friends I walk with have all recently made the transition from two foot walking to four foot walking, and are reaping the benefits.  Of all the physical activities I have pursued in the past, pole walking has by far evoked more responses from others that have made me smile.  I have come to appreciate not only what pole walking is doing for me but the positive ripple effect it is having on others.  At first I endured much teasing from my family and friends with regard to their opinions (not high) of pole walkers and pole walking.  Each comment was delivered with a smile and often a laugh.  I realized that while I was benefiting from the exercise both physically and mentally, my family and friends were benefiting from pole walking, too.  Their humorous comments providing light moments in their days, adding smiles along the way.  The world can never have too many smiles.  Thank you pole walking!

2 comments:

  1. Good work Pam!
    Way to further the important cause of pole walking!
    Kristin (via Daren's account)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a wise man once said "The bum's don't lie!"

    ReplyDelete